Thursday, January 26, 2017

Self-Practice Journal, Week 2

For one of my RYT classes this semester, I'm required to keep a weekly self-practice journal. This is for yoga practices I do on my own, not guided in a studio, gym, or via video. Each week I'll have a post that details at least three of my self-practices.

Week 2
Practice 1
Date: January 21, 9a-10a
Intention: Practice for the class I'd be teaching later in the day (for Practicum hours). I wanted to feel confident and prepared and ensure the sequencing made sense. I knew I'd probably end up improvising based on the requests of the students, so I kept my outline basic and beginner.
Content:
Seated warm ups: shoulder rolls, gathering up the breath with the arms, gentle seated twists and folds over the crossed legs (each way), cat-cow, and downward dog with the knees bent, pedaling the feet.
Sun Salutations A & B with variations // Surya Namaskar A & B
Warrior II // Virabhadrasana II
Reverse Warrior // Viparita Virabhadrasana
Pyramid // Parsvottanasana
Revolved Triangle // Parivrrta Trikonasana
Pigeon // Kappottasana
Prone arm stretch
Supine spinal twists
Happy baby pose // Ananda Balasana
Seated Eagle variation on the back // Supta Garudasana
Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose // Supta Padangusthasana
Savasana - Read the linked quote HERE

Reflection: I'm nervous to teach again, since it's been such a long time. But I think I have a group of poses that will offer a lot of options for those who attend my class today. I know most of them say they're at a beginner level, so I want to be sure they feel challenged but not overwhelmed. Additionally, if they have specific requests, I'll be able to use some of the poses as jumping off points for variations or other poses that meet those needs. I also deliberately have a longer Savasana planned (than I would have done in the past when I taught regularly) and I hope it's well-received.

Practice 2
Date: January 22, 945p-10:05p
Intention: Relieve neck tension from shoveling snow
Content:
Seated warm ups: butterfly arms, bow and arrow, lateral stretches, neck rolls, shoulder rolls.
Cat-Cow // Durga-go
Downward Facing Dog // Adho Mukha Svasasana
Plank // Chaturanga
Chaturanga Dandasana
Bow Pose // Dhanurasana
Child's Pose // Balasana
Hare Pose // Shashankasana
(Repeated the above three times)
Downward Facing Dog // Adho Mukha Svasasana
Warrior I // Virabhadrasana I
Plank // Chaturanga
Chaturanga Dandasana
Bow Pose // Dhanurasana
Child's Pose // Balasana
Hare Pose // Shashankasana

(Repeated the above three times)
Prone arm stretch (arms to a T)
Supine Hand-to-Toe Pose // Supta Padangusthasana
Happy Baby // Ananda Balasana
Supine spinal twists
Savasana
Revisited the seated warm ups to check in with the neck.
Reflection: Sometimes my natural tendency is to avoid movement if I'm sore from some activity. I don't want to feel the discomfort leftover from the hard work I previously did! But tonight I knew I'd feel better if I focused on my neck. Building up heat in the body and going from Bow to Hare was really good for my neck and upper back muscles. It helped work out the kinks and soreness I'd been holding onto since yesterday. It was worth taking the 15-20 minutes even though I was ready for bed!

Practice 3
Date: January 23, 9:50p-10:20p
Intention: Prepare for a LovingKindness meditation
Content: Kneeling Moon Salutation, Meditation
Seated warm up: shoulder rolls, neck rolls, lifting arms with the breath.
Kneeling Prayer Pose // like an elevated Virasana
Kneeling Back Arch
Extended Child's Pose // Utthita Balasana
Extended Cat Pose // Utthita Marjaryasana
Downward Facing Dog // Adho Mukha Svanasana
Extended Cat Pose // Utthita Marjaryasana
Extended Child's Pose // Utthita Balasana
Kneeling Back Arch
Kneeling Prayer //
Repeated the above twice, three breaths per pose. On third round, substituted Camel Pose for Kneeling Back Arch.
Child's Pose // Balasana
Seated Spinal Twists
Seated Bound Angle Pose // Baddha Konasana
Spinal Rolls
Waterfall Pose // Viparita Karani
Supine Spinal Twists
Knees to chest
Savasana
Loving Kindness Meditation from Grow Well 
Reflection: I want to continue to grow familiar with the concept of Moon Salutations. It's not what I usually practice, and the cycle appeals to me. This kneeling series (from The Yoga Bible) always feels restorative to me. It was good prep for the LovingKindness meditation.

No comments: