Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What is Yoga?

My philosophy on Yoga is simple; it is using traditional asanas (postures) to increase one's mind/body awareness.

As a practitioner since 2005, I love what Yoga has done for my body. Additionally, I love and utilize the breathing techniques taught when I need to refocus myself and relieve stress day-to-day. For me, it's not about a religion, although it certainly can be for many practitioners. I choose instead to focus on the physical benefits: muscle endurance, toning, and increasing flexibility. Also, Yoga has helped improve my posture and confidence. I am more aware of what my body can do.

Yoga can be for everyone because there are so many modifications available for the asanas used in a practice. There are resting postures that allow the practitioner to regain breath and balance if an asana is too challenging.

In my Yoga practices, I use contemporary music mixed with classical piano versions of Pink Floyd and Radiohead (for example). I want practitioners to feel at ease and excited about Yoga!

For information about rates and availability, please visit the Yoga page on this blog or contact me via email: livytay[at]gmail.com.

Namaste.

More information about Yoga can be found here.

No comments: