Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What is Pilates?

Having been an avid Yogi for about three years before being introduced to mat Pilates, I wasn't sure I would like it. It took a while for me to get used to the breathing technique (which involves breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth) since in Yoga all breathing is done through the nose.

Regardless of the differences, I soon came to appreciate what Pilates could do for my body. It allows for a more aerobic workout than Yoga but offers similar challenges. In my practice, the benefits are parallel to those in Yoga: muscle endurance, muscle toning and increased flexibility.

Pilates can be performed by any body type- it is proven to benefit both young and old, and those with excellent or limited mobility. I was able to instruct classes into my 8th month of pregnancy, and within six weeks after my baby was born, I got right back into teaching! I firmly believe that practicing Pilates assisted my body in preparing for that great adventure, and it certainly helped me get back into shape afterward.

I use contemporary music when instructing my Pilates classes so as not to intimidate or bore participants. Pilates can be fun as well as challenging!

Please see information on rates on the Pilates page of this blog. For discount information, please contact me via email: livytay[at]gmail.com.

For more information on Pilates, go here.

No comments: