Saturday, June 16, 2018

Superhero Themed Kids' Yoga - Camp 2018

Week one of Kids' Yoga Camp is in the books! Our superhero theme helped us focus on Warrior poses, and we did games inspired by superheroes working together.


I taught the kids that breathing in a mindful way is like having our very own super power. It can change how you feel, and it can change how others feel. They loved the laughing breath exercise because they had a chance to be super silly while still actually, physically noticing how someone else's breathing/mood affected them.

My 4 year old is just old enough to be involved in the games and sequences I'm teaching this year, but sometimes (pictured above) he just needed a break. And that's the wonderful thing about yoga! You can practice whatever you need to on your own mat.

Yoga camp is never complete without partner poses, and the art project is often the kids' most favorite part. Each year I have a couple of yogis who ask, throughout the entire first hour, when we're doing the art project. I'm glad I didn't disappoint with this weeks' crafts- we made dream catchers and warrior puppets.



I've worked on fine-tuning the curriculum to give the kids a good mix of physical activity, mindfulness activity, and creative space to do whatever they want. My 7 year old complained that camp on Friday wasn't long enough, which I'm going to take as a huge compliment!

I got a few testimonials from yoga campers this week, in case you want to hear straight from the horses' mouths what the best part of Superhero Yoga Camp was:

A, age 7: I love being with my friends and doing art projects.
L, age 4: My favorite part is superhero games. I like being a helper.
L, age 6: I like the art.
R, age 8: My favorite part is how you can relax.

Harry Potter-inspired week is now closed for registration, but I have more spots available in July! Get all the info HERE.

No comments: